Terrarium is experience some server problems. Please try again later.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:34 PM
Ok. Looks like I'm getting this when i try to add a species that already exists. In the Add Species web service, it returns SpeciesServiceStatus.ServerDown if the species dll already exists rather than providing a more descriptive error. So, now that I know what's happening, how is this supposed to work? Do I have to upload a new DLL each and every time I want to add a new species to the server? Is there a way to update an existing species with a newer dll (version #) without running into this problem?

~ Paul
Aug 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM
I'll answer my own question for anyone who might read this. =)

You can't upload multiple versions of the same dll to a server in Ecosystem mode. Basically all of your creature testing/debugging should be done in the local terrarium mode before going to the server. My problem is that my local Terrarium mode is currently broken in Vista on my laptop (works on my desktop though.) When I create a new Terrarium instance, the game closes and then tries to reopen but the client never comes back up. It's still running, but I can't see it. I'm hoping this will be fixed with the 2.1 release that updates the Direct X.

I still think there needs to be a new error message for this one rather than "Terrarium is experience some server problems. Please try again later." Might avoid this confusion in the future.

~ Paul
Aug 17, 2008 at 5:16 AM
Well, I happened to find out what my problem was with creating a new Terrarium when switching to terrarium mode. I'll post the cause for anyone else who might be experiencing this.

After creating a new terrarium, my client would close like normal and try to restart. After this I would be left with a blank screen as if the UI hadn't loaded. I could see that the process was still running, but I couldn't see the interface no matter what I tried.

This was happening intermittently and I found that this only happened when I tried to do this on my 2nd monitor. If I do the same steps on my main screen, everything works as expected. Not sure what about the 2nd monitor would cause problem, but hopefully this helps anyone else who might be experiencing the same issue.

~ Paul