With a recent tweet by Scott Hanselman (thanks Scott!) there's been renewed interest in the project. So with that we're looking to fix up some lingering problems and shift the light on Terrarium to some new technology.
The original release was for .NET 2.0 but since then it's been recompiled on 3.5 and some effort has started on creating WPF versions of the client.
Hopefully if I can get some help from you guys there's a few things we'd like to get going on:
- Update to .NET 4.0 platform. The code *should* compile on 4.0 but I haven't tried it yet.
- Update to WPF. Ditch the old WinForms legacy clients and finish the WPF ones on 4.0
- Redo the web server in ASP.NET 4.0 MVC with the new 3.5 charting controls. The old web server was such a hack and butt-ugly ASP.NET 1.0 code.
- Update the web services in WCF to be consumed by the new website and clients.
- Fix the x64 compatibility issues and get it ready for Vista x64 and Win 7. This would include looking at maybe folding in the recent managed DirectX wrappers from MSDN Code Gallery and ditching the old legacy wrappers.
- Launch and try to get some new organisms going and grow our community!
Like I said, hope we can move towards this soon and I'm looking for you to help out. Download the current codebase and take a look then contact myself or Scott Hanselman if you're interested in taking on some tasks.