Code Direction

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:45 PM
Hi Bil,

I was wondering what your thoughts on the direction of the code are? Is there plans to introduce testing into the scenario? What about some newer ideas such as MVP for the forms? DI? As I look through the code I don't see any of the things that seem to get pounded into our heads these days as 'correct'. I realize that this has just been resurrected and I didn't expect to to see any of that yet. I'm just wondering if it's on the table to begin a migration in that direction, or even in any other direction.

I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on this.

J
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM
For sure. The codebase, in case you didn't know, was originally 100% Microsoft's and was written (mostly) back in the 1.x days. There's two primary areas for improvement to the system. Codebase readability and new functionality. For example wouldn't it be nice to have RSS updates from a Terrarium server on what's happening?

The codebase improvements will probably be two-fold. Minor cleanups (code consistency, changes like using generics internally, etc.) and major refactorings (Generic types for public interfaces on OrganismBase, extension methods when we move to 3.5, etc.). Somewhere in there are plenty of places where things like MVP could be used to better improve the UI code (and make it easier to flip over to say WPF or XNA).

All of this should be backed by unit tests but there are some challenges with that at the moment that we'll see about resolving in the next little while.