Express

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Pardon my rookieness, but I was just wondering if it's possible to make this work in the Express versions of VS, or do I need the full blown version to make it work. I've farted around with it in the 2005 and 2008 express versions of both C# and VB, and I keep getting quite a bevy of errors and other whatnots. ...don't necessarily need to know how (figuring it out is half the fun), but I just want to know if I'm wasting my time and frustration with the express versions.
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM
You should be able to build creatures with express, I am not sure on everything else like if you are building the actual game. If you are trying to open the client project then there is one project in there that is C++ so this might be causing your error if they are compile time errors.
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2008 at 4:10 AM
You can build creatures using any .NET language. You just have to be able to reference the OrganismBase.dll and create an assembly of your own. Any edition of Visual Studio allows you to do this.

To build the client you need something capable of opening up VS2005 solution files so Pro/TeamSuite/etc. Express I think has it's own .csproj/vbproj format but don't quote me on that.
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM
Excellent! Thanks! I'll keep plugging away then.